Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Monday, March 12, 2012

GOTR Returning Coaches Meeting

Tonight was our returning coaches meeting for GOTR. I picked up our bin for Mill Middle and our "Girls on Track" books. My Nate drove me since I have driving anxiety. I felt kind of bad that he was the lone dude in a room filled with women. He said he didn't feel awkward though - he was used to it from being an Elementary Education major. Michele had stay home and off of her feet - she likely has a stress fracture in her foot, with a marathon only 2 weeks away. Guess things aren't looking so good in terms of running in it. After months of training, that has to be a bummer.

It was interesting to see the statistics from the surveyed schools in Buffalo. Apparently we did better than the national average. The girls who took part in GOTR this past fall in Buffalo had a substantially better self-image and better outlook on life and the way they felt about themselves. It was great knowing I was able to be a part of this :-)

I really hoped that the program directors would have good news for us in terms of registration, but as of today, we officially have only 5 girls signed up. Michele has not registered her daughter (so really 6 girls). Apparently a mother saw an advertisement at Erie Community College and called to inquire about GOTR, asking if it was at Mill Middle. So, that's potentially 7 girls?

We technically have until March 30th, so I'm trying to keep the faith. A couple of girls from the fall are definitely out... which is a bummer, but that's how it goes. I know GOTR is not just about running, but the one girl who is not returning has so much potential and I see her being a stellar athlete and distance runner... it makes me wonder if I did something wrong. I dunno, maybe it's just not her cup of tea or she plays another sport. Or there's a conflict. *think positive thoughts, Nicole*

I have been looking forward to Girls on Track all winter. I mean, I've been SUPER excited, thinking about all of the cool activities we can do... or how we can shake up some of the activities just a little bit to make them a little more "real." Honestly, middle schoolers these days are into things worse than smoking, for example. Shoplifting, hardcore drugs, breaking into parents liquor cabinets, going to high school parties. There's some bad stuff out there and I am so excited to help girls understand that there's so much more to life than all that.

I've also been doing Google searches for my favorite running quotes. I mean, sticking the quotes on 3x5 cards and sifting them in with their positive word cards. The surprise running quotes threw the girls for a loop last fall and I could tell they loved it -- some of the girls reading them off as their favorite cards they received as they ran their laps.

I've also been thinking of a new name... Nutty Nicole doesn't seem to fit me...

Well, Nate sent a bunch of Facebook friends who might know people a link to the GOTR Buffalo site, and asked them to pass it along to anyone who might be interested. Still keeping the faith with only a couple of weeks to go...

1 comment:

  1. oh, hun, parents are such last minute people. Shoot, I had people still signing their daughters up the week we started! I always get a little nervous too but I remember that it is in the last two weeks that it becomes a big fill. Also-advertise that the program is only open to 15 girls...that is the limit and sometimes that will light a fire under the bottoms!

    Nutty Nicole is so much better than "Juicy Jillianne". I swear I dont know what made them say I was juicy but they stuck to it. I think it just makes them smile!

    And good for you doing the Middle school. I have heard that is so much harder keeping the girls focused and together as a team.

    If you guys are already up to 6 girls, you will be fine. But its good that you are nervous, it shows that you care and are excited.

    And you know, the kids are doing the same thing at middle school that kids our age were doing. Its just that now as adults we see the consequences for such behavior over the long term. So the biggest thing I tell my girls is this, You can't be perfect, and you might make mistakes, but just try your best to be a good person and try your best to make good choices. And when you fall, pick yourself up and don't look back, but keep moving forward.

    Also, I have at least 4 girls that didn't make it back out this season that I miss tremendously and was sad they couldn't join. But each and every one of their parents emailed me and told me that they just had other spring obligations. I invited them all to join us for the 5k in the spring. I am hoping I get to see them all and will probably invite them to our end of year celebration.

    ReplyDelete