Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Thursday, March 22, 2012

We've Got a Team!

Girls on Track is going to happen at Mill Middle!  We've lost a few girls, but gained two new members to our roster.  We have a team of 9.

Our first practice will take place next Wednesday.  I am extremely nervous.   I'm the type of girl who you'd want to captain a team, not coach it.  But I really try.

I'm also completely Type-A.  I don't demand perfection from the girls, but need to make sure I do everything in my power so the girls get the most our of the program.  I would type up cheat sheets to abbreviate the lessons and draw diagrams to make the set-ups "perfect."  I know my obsession with perfection in everything I am passionate about makes it difficult for me to work with, but I don't know how to change myself.  If only I could channel myself that way in my "career."

Reading through the first lesson, it looks like the Girls on Track curriculum is a lot different from the GotR one.  Our Program Directors advised us to do GotR for middle school in the fall, stating that it wasn't too babyish for Middle Schoolers.  After going through that curriculum, most of it didn't seem bad at all.  In fact, I think I like a lot of it better than "Girls on Track."  Even the single 8th grader on the team was really into it.

One thing I also noticed is that we don't pick positive names for ourselves on day one with GOT.  Instead, we all have to come up with a noise or gesture (or both) that people will remember us by.  I can't for the life of me come up with anything for myself.  Coach Michele has to miss the first day (she'll be out of the country), and I wish I had her input.  We have a fill-in to assist me, and she is awesome, but I may need to make a judgment call about whether the sound/motion activity in lieu of the positive names is going to turn girls off to the GoT.  Maybe we could do both.

On the other hand, the girls NEVER failed to amaze me last season.  They may TOTALLY go for lesson one and LOVE making sounds and motions to remember them by.  I dunno, when I was 11 or 12 years old, I really would have totally been turned off by this.  I probably would have folded my arms, frowned and growled... but hey, I was always serious, even as a kid.

More good news is that my boss is letting me take last minute Annual Leave in case I oversleep.  I have a flex schedule and while I could pull off getting to work a 6 and leaving at 2:30 in the fall, I need to sleep off one of my new medications in order to be able to drive in safely.  I love the perks of my job.

Well... looking forward to a great season! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, and congratulations! You will have so much fun.

    And I totally get the type A personality (guilty as charged) but with being a mom, it has helped me to understand being more flexible. Its often why my lessons will focus around what we were supposed to learn but maybe a slightly different activity.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete