Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Surprising Long Run




Endomondo Running Workout: Nicole was out running 15.64 miles in 2h:12m:18s using Endomondo.

I deviated from my training schedule.  Heaven forbid! Despite the fact that Sundays are my "Long Slow Run" days (not Saturdays), today I took full advantage of the beautiful suburban Buffalo, NY weather.  I ran over 15 and a half miles!  The last time I ran (almost) that far was nearly 7 years ago when I got lost.  That summer day in 2006 was one of the worst and most disastrous runs of my life.  I got lost and walked a good portion of that. I worried the heck out of my parents. Dehydrated and sick, I could barely walk when I got back to my parent's house.

Today was nothing like that!

I knew as soon as I stepped out the door this afternoon I wasn't going to do my scheduled six-miler.  Every ounce of my body, mind and soul told me I was going to run far... and so I did.  While my legs do not move as quickly as they used to, and I get cravings for weird food products on my long runs (it was honey, today), it simply doesn't matter.  Running is my true passion.  Running is a means of meditation, prayer, and alone time.  I think about all sorts of things... except for running, and I truly believe that's the way to do it!  I feel healthier and happier than I have in years.  I will never be the competitive runner that I could have been had I not gotten sick; however, I have accepted this and am okay with it.  Today I ran farther than I ever have, and I finished feeling strong.

With each long run that I complete, the more confident I become in knowing I will be able to finish the Marathon this May.

When I walked in the door, my husband looked up at me from the couch and asked how I did.  I let my Garmin speak for itself, excitedly sticking my arm out while saying "look!"  I had run 15.64 miles and I was still standing, dripping sweat. "Wow, I'm proud of you!" he told me.  I wasn't thinking about my accomplishment... I quickly realized I needed food.  I ran right back out the door and up to Tim Horton's.  I needed calories, and quickly.  I gulped down iced coffee with chocolate milk flavoring, and two oatmeal raisin cookies.  I breathed and relaxed before walking back home.

I'm still 11 miles away from being a marathoner, but I'll get there.  I know it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment