Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy

My grandmother remembers where she was during the Pearl Harbor attack. My parents knew where they were when we landed on the moon and when Kennedy was assassinated.  Is the world becoming a more dangerous place?

For folks of my generation:

What were you doing when the LA Riots took place?
Where were you when a bomb exploded in a van underneath the World Trade Center in '93?
Where were you when Timothy McVeigh bombed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City? 
Can you remember where you were when the US came under attack as terrorists flew jets into the twin towers in NYC and the Pentagon, killing thousands?

Last but not least...

Where were you when you learned that two bombs went off at near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing 3 and injuring over 170 innocent people?

As a distance runner of over 15 years, I cannot comprehend such a senseless act.  I am hesitant to say this was a terrorist act.  I do not know how it could possibly be politically motivated as the Boston Marathon is simply a wonderful event that allows "Joe Shmoe" who has worked so hard to qualify for this race to compete alongside world-renowned athletes from all over the world.  It is an honor to qualify for Boston, which is why it draws so many spectators from all over the country.  Still, the questions remains... why?  Why the Boston Marathon?

My husband and I were in a cab in Washington, D.C. heading back to our hotel when we heard of the explosions.  I thought I'd misheard the report.  When we got back to our hotel we turned on CNN.  I asked Nate to log into the Checkers AC Facebook page to see if members were providing updates on the status of club members running in Boston.  As the number of injures jumped from "dozens" to 60, to 100, and finally to "over 170 injured"...  I felt nauseated.  Jenna texted me from Buffalo to tell me she felt sick.

As the graphic pictures and personal accounts came in I was overwhelmed with sadness.  I thought of all of the times my family members and friends have waited at finish lines for me.  Not athletes.  Not anyone with any agenda other than to applaud and cheer on runners who crossed the finish line.  In Boston on Monday, these were the people who the attacks were aimed at.

Hamstring injury #2 was suddenly put into perspective.  It hurt, but the emotional pain I felt for all those innocent victims heavily outweighed my ace-bandaged leg.  If I were a marathoner, it could have been one of my family members who was hurt or killed.  I simply cannot comprehend this senseless act...  the pain will last for years to come... road racing will never be the same....
    

No comments:

Post a Comment