Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It sucks to grow up...

Okay, when one begins to receive personalized coffee orders from Tim Horton's, that could mean a few things.    I did some quick math to determine that I spend about $1,500 per year there!  This is not factoring in Nate's daily stop there.  I've been trying to cut back simply because we can't really afford this, but it's tough.  We live so close that we've literally rolled out of bed and walked there in our pajamas.  It's not the norm for us, but I won't lie.

It's cool, though.  The people who work there are great.  Mostly college kids.  From my point of view, it's still odd to consider these folks "kids."  The one girl joined us on her break this past weekend.  She's a senior English major at Canisius College.  I am sincerely amazed at how much college students who are passionate about their studies know.  It truly blows my mind and I wish I had passion when I was in college.  I was a somewhat lost soul who majored in Legal Studies because it was something interesting to study.  I was completely indifferent to what I was learning and simply working my darndest to get good grades.  Nate struck up a conversation with the aforementioned girl about a book she was reading.  Since Nate minored in English and is still always reading a book or two, he's interested in books that people out there are reading.  They had a lengthy, intelligent conversation.  I sat and smiled.  Apparently the author of the particular book she was reading was going to be giving a talk at Kleinhan's Music Hall.  

The conversation shifted gears, thank God.  Music.  When had we been to Kleinhan's last?  We went and saw Ben Folds Five last October. "Who is that?"  We explained he was popular when we were in high school, but not really, likely because he was competing with musicians like Dave Matthews at the time.  "So he's like Dave Matthews?"  "No... we're actually not really Dave Matthews fans; he's more of an Elton John or Billy Joel contemporary.  He's an extremely talented pianist."  What else did we see?  Mozart's Birthday.  BPO performing the music of Led Zeppelin.  I could handle this without looking like an idiot.      

 In the meantime, I'm going through a premature midlife crisis - unless I die at 60.  I've not accomplished things I feel I should have by now.  That's the way I feel, anyway. To counter the aging process, one will often find my right hand with children's jewelry.  Work, home, whatever the occasion... I'm not growing up.  I didn't party or drink in high school.  I skipped the whole 20-something bar hopping scene.  I still feel that I'm too young to go to bars.  I don't wear make-up.  I think of myself as more of a responsible 13-year-old than someone who's my actual age.  I handle our mortgage and car payments. When people ask how old I am, I tend to forget.  I sometimes blurt out a number that's 3 or 4 years younger than my actual age.  It just happens...

Well, this blog entry turned into something I didn't intend for it to be.  I have Forever Young on in the background which is a complete distraction.  I can't stand reality TV.  But I also cannot believe how dumb the under-30 crowd is on this show!  It's embarrassing!  How did they pick these kids?  People never fail to disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment