Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Friday, August 3, 2012

A New GOTR Season

Well, last season I barely made it.  But we did it.  All 9 of our girls completed the 5k.  Two for the first time ever.  Despite the challenges I faced, I know the girls enjoyed it in the end.  I loved every moment of knowing I played a huge part in having a sucessful program last spring.  Knowing I helped better the girls was even more rewarding!!

Now, Fall registration opens in less than 2 weeks.  Our Council does not have the time or manpower to help us advertise in Williamsville.   All of the girls from last year will be playing modified of JV high school sports, so I am relying on new members. The district board still finds GOTR problematic for reasons unfathomable to me, so it's understand with 60+ other schools in WNY, the council just doesn't have time right now to help our teams in the district with this uphill battle.  We'll get there, though!

I am officially the head coach at Mill Middle now.  I am taking things into my own hands and making the program at Mill Middle "my own."  I decided to go with the Girls on Track curriculum again; however, I still have extensive notes from the GOTR program (like no-nonsense Nelly lesson). I am going to do a little bit of lesson swapping where I feel necessary. 

I am also going to go door-to-door with flyers.  I am going to mail to libraries and recreation centers.  It's a huge district, but I am going stand strong for a great program that I truly believe in.

As someone who wanted to be a cop, I believe in structure and discipline.  Since becoming ill 10 years ago, much of my life has been in disarray, but my passion for GOTR has instilled a desire to be a better and more organized person... not for me, but for the girls!

Here we go again!  Season 3, year 2 is going to be the best ever! :-)

2 comments:

  1. have you ever talked to your school's administration to ask them how you can assist them so that they might have a better experience and see the benefits of GOTR.

    I guess I am just unsure how anyone can not support such an organization other than the lack of understanding it. I found that a lot of the reason the people disliked when I entered the school at first was their worry that the girls were just fooling around after school or that i was just an expensive babysitting service or worse, that i let the girls destroy school property (ie the class room).

    There should be a way to file for a permit to use a classroom during the season. Another thing, ask the girls about their teachers and see if any of them are runners. If you can get someone from within the school who supports you, and maybe even join as a one day a week assistant coach, you might find it more successful.

    I have great hopes for you. I didn't realize registration is opening so soon. holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the teachers and coaches don't have a problem with the program at all. They are very supportive and when they see us in the hallway, and commend the girls by telling them things like "I would never be able to run a 5k! Good for you!" The agreement with Williamsville is a building permit. We can utilize the school grounds and hallways, but not the classrooms. We have had music teachers offer up their classrooms, but have to pass due to liability issues.

    It is unclear whether or not the school has wanted the program in the past, but the vice principal has been kind enough to sign the building permit. Last year, our first year, this was elavated all the way up to the school board. The assistant sperintendent for exceptional education and student services is VERY familiar with the program; she does not approve of it. I just do not get it.

    Last year, I wanted to go to a school board meeting to discuss my positive experience as an assistant coach who went to Mill almost 20 years ago and know how much this program is needed.
    The head coach told me that only the council/program director was allowed to do this kind of thing -- I don't recall this rule from training, but I wasn't going to take a chance. I kept quite.

    My husband and I delivered fliers to about 80 homes in Amherst. All printed out, rolled up and tied with ribbons. How could people not look? lol. We did our homework to determine what houses we should hit. It took about 6 hours to deliver; but I really think it will be worth it. Keepign fingers crossed!

    Great idea to have a teacher act as an assistant coach if they have time. When i was in 8th grade, my club soccer coach was a spanish teacher at Mill. When she was younger, she was a cross country runner. The kids really like her. Maybe she'd want to help. :-)

    ReplyDelete