Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Running for Me & GOTR anxiety

Endomondo Running Workout: was out running 3.18 miles in 28m:48s using Endomondo.

I have been my own worst enemy lately.  I have not been working out at all.  I have a gym membership, a stationary bike in our apartment, and obviously the ability to run.  However, I've come up with every excuse in the book to avoid running.  Yes, I do have a knee injury, but I can overcome that.  I ran one race last month - my wort road 5k time since I began running road races.

Somehow, I am not gaining weight.  We order or go out to eat quite a bit... I guess I just am careful about what I eat during the week.  We went out to Tim Horton's today - we do every weekend. I made a conscious effort to have a Special K bar before we walked to get our breakfast instead of ordering a donut or bagel; just ordering myself a coffee. 

I've been feeling extremely wound up and tense lately for no particular reason.  Not to mention antsy.  I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a short run.  Wow I did horrible, but wow did it feel good!!!  I had forgotten how running on a regular basis made me feel and I just have to get back into it.  I feel so much better and that antsy feeling is gone.

Next Friday the preliminary roster for my GOTR team will be e-mailed to me.  I am kind of nervous.  Nate and I targeted about 80 houses that we believed had girls from the school at and we stuck ribbon-tied fliers in doors. Between the photocopying, the ribbon tying, and the delivering, it took about 8 hours to complete this task.  All I know is that right now, our school it not filled.  If we do not have a full team by the end of next week, I might throw in the towel.  I don't think GOTR is considered "cool" by Middle School  standards.  I think up to 6th grade, it's ok, but 7th and 8th graders are more interested in playing real sports, guys, and just "hanging out."  I guess that's kind of the point of Girls on Track, to spend twice a week for 3 months discussing these things while running/walking/jogging, but sometimes I forget that pre-teens aren't necessarily going to chat about guys/parties/drugs with a 29-year-old coach.  It's a tough age, and I respect that.   Heck, I remember the parties, the guys, the drugs/alcohol and even the sexually active 12-year-olds in Middle School.  It was something you didn't dare debate with a girl who was into that kind of thing... and if you ended up at a party where smoking and drinking was going on -- even if you weren't doing it -- it was so uncool to tell a parent.

Well, I am a half-glass-full kind of girl, so I'm going to keep my chin up.  This may be the last season I will be able to do depending on how my surgery to replace my IPGs this winter goes.  I feel my dystonia getting worse, and knowing my batteries will need to be changed for the first time is kind of scary.  I hate going under the knife!

Well, time to shower and get some housework done.

Peace out! :-)

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You all are getting a really early start. We dont start until Sept 16th!

    You know, I had a full team. And while it can be a lot of fun, I enjoy the days where there are only 8 girls instead too.

    Keep up the running. I honestly always feel like running makes everything better for runners at heart. That weird sense of quiet/clarity you can get from being completely alone is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got our roster. Only 4 girls, and NONE of them are from houses we delivered to. :o(

      Delete