Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Back to the Launch... and a 2 week hiatus

I have six stitches in my foot.  Six!  It hurts like you wouldn't believe.  I worked from home today, which was probably a good call given the -8 degree windchill anyway.  I do NOT want the other moles touched until after the Buffalo Marathon.

For the next week I'm pretty much laid up.  I'm an antsy person who likes to be on the go, but when I try to stand on my foot, the pain near my heel quickly reminds me of the procedure I had yesterday.

Next Monday I'll be allowed to do some stationary biking.  No running until the stiches are out though.  I'll have the stitches removed on February 4th, and then I'll be back on the roads... or the treadmill.  It's a good week to be laid up in Buffalo!  We're certainly making up for our virtually snowless and unseasonably warm winter we had last year.

But honestly, I cannot wait to get back to training.  I am using the Brooks Launch again.  The Adrenaline just were not working out.  I am going to have words with my orthopedic surgeon about this.  I need neutral shoes.  I simply can't part with my orthotics.  This philosophy is more expensive, but I'd rather invest 400 dollars into a good pair of orthotics that will last me years rather than buy a 90 dollar pair of shoes that won't let me put even 20 miles on them.

In touching base with some people on the Buffalo Buffalo Track Club Forum, I learned, that my form is likely what is causing me my knee pain.  I always thought good form meant standing erect, moving arms in such a way to allow ample oxygen, and kicking forward to allow a long heel-to-toe stride.

I learned that the heel-to-toe approach is a recipe for becoming injured, though even the best runners have a tendency to do this.  And why not?  It is the fastest and most efficient way to propel yourself forward when running.

A midfoot strike, right below your upright body with a backward "butt kicking" motion is the most conducive to running fast and remaining uninjured.  A heel-to-toe motion can cause knee damage, hip problems, and lower back pain.  I never knew any of this.  Watching some of the best runners out there, I was always intrigued with the "flying forward" type motion that seemed to come with a really good kick.  There's a reason those runners seem to disappear from race results, though!  

So, I need to learn to run again.  I can do it, but that powerhouse kick is going to need to retire.  Right before my surgery yesterday, I went to the gym and practiced running the "right" way for 4 miles.  I held a decent pace, but it certainly did not feel as efficient.  With age and natural wearing and tearing over the years, changing your form is something you need to do if you want to run for life.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out!  Once I'm better, I'd like to make an appointment with Run Smart to have my form analyzed.  Maybe do one of their boot camps.  I believe that health insurance may cover it if I can get it referred as physical therapy.  *sigh* The lengths we go to do the sport we love...

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Glad to see you got something to do other than running and Nate! (j/k!) Get that footsie better pronto. What is your Buffalo goal? I am training for 3:50.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can hold under a 9:00 pace (or under 4 hours) I will be happy. I have been training much too quickly on my Sunday long runs - around 8:45. I'm sure it will catch up with me. Really, I'm just looking to finish and enjoy myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete