Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Flu Season and Training

Nate came down with the flu on Friday, and now I'm getting sick.  It was bound to happen.  Thankfully I made homemade chicken soup yesterday before my symptoms began.  It was my first time attempting this.  While I'm usually pretty good at whipping things up on a whim, homemade or otherwise, I kinda screwed this up.  I didn't realize one could over-boil a chicken.  The soup tastes good, but the chicken is just kind of mushy.  Some tiny bones also made it through the colander.  Oh well, live and learn.

I was just on the go nonstop yesterday, trying to take care of both myself and Nate. By 8:30 am I was at the gym for a 5 mile run.  Then breakfast at Tim Horton's.  Mom called while I was out and we talked for an hour.  I just sat sipping coffee in my sweaty gym clothes.  By the time I knew it, it was close to noon.  I went to Dashes to get Nate some goodies, an Amish Fryer chicken and some veggies.  Soup time.  After talking to my mom, I learned my sister was going through some tough things in life.  I took my time making her a CD of heartfelt Ben Folds songs.  I swung by my parent's house to give it to her.  Before I knew it, it was 4:00 in the afternoon.

Last night, it just hit me.  This overwhelming feeling of fatigue and dizziness.  I had a 10-11 miler scheduled for today, but I can't do it.  I am disappointed.  I assume I'll be okay for my foot surgery tomorrow, but this was supposed to be my final long slow run before my 2 week recovery.  I'm slightly bitter, but I'll bounce back.

I'll have 16-17 weeks left to train before the Buffalo Marathon.  I talked to a couple of veteran marathoners who said that should be plenty of time for me, but I have been so dead-set on following this regimented schedule.  I feel that deviating from it for two weeks will be a huge determent.  This being my first 26.2, I want to make sure I do it right.

Anyway, as much as I would like to do that run today... it would be foolish.  I need to put my health first.  It isn't fair, but people get sick and that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment