Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gratitude and Appreciaton


Gratitude is a topic covered in the GOTR curriculum.  It is perhaps one of the most important topics we cover.  In fact, the chapter in the book is called Gratitude is an Attitude.

Today, we celebrated Thanksgiving, which generally means eating turkey, spending time with family, watching football and hopefully recognizing things which we are thankful for in our lives.  But I pose this question - why do we need to take a day off from work and make it a holiday to do this?  Why don't people do this every day?

Gratitude is, in actuality, an attitude.  In psychology, there is a practice called "mindfulness."  It's about being in the present and recognizing the good things around us, as trivial as they might seem.  Right now I'm looking down at my funky, hot pink, plastic ring with googly-eyes on my finger.  It makes me smile because it's a reflection of my personality.  Despite the responsibilities of adulthood (mortgage, bills, career, family commitments, etc.) this little piece of plastic jewelry is a reminder that I can be a child at heart regardless of the circumstances surrounding me.

There are people who practice mindfulness every single day!  These people keep personal gratitude journals.  At the end of the day, they write down three things they are grateful for.  Guess what studies show about these people.  That's right, they are generally happier people!

So, this Thanksgiving, I'm going to share three things I'm grateful for right now!

  1. My passion for running and how it's shaped me as a person and has helped me to shape others as well.
  2. Being alive in an age and in a society where advanced technology has been able to treat a debilitating neurological disorder I suffer from.
  3. That funky hot pink ring I'm wearing right now! (Even if my mom and sister think an almost 30-year-old wearing something like this is ridiculous - and yes, I'm thankful for their concern as well).
So, basically, for anyone reading this (if anyone does) - challenge yourself!  There is ALWAYS something to be grateful for or thankful for in life...  every single day.  I challenge you to be mindful of all those little things every day... even if it seems like it's the worst day of your life.  You will become a happier, healthier, better person.  I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment