Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Physical and Psychological Setbacks

I am just finishing my second week of marathon training.  I will only have 24 weeks to go after tomorrow!  I am pleasantly surprised to see my conditioning return by sticking to a regular training schedule.  I am having some setbacks in my life that make me want to quit already, but I am trying to continue running through the unknown unless I am told I cannot.

Yesterday I got some news that I just wasn't expecting.  The mole I had removed from my foot last week was dysplastic (precancerous or having abnormal cells) and the doctor will need to remove more tissue from that area. I'm not too happy about it since it will likely put my training to a temporary halt.  There are three other moles on my feet as well - one on my heel and two on my toes. I do not know what is in store from them.

I kind of whined when the nurse called me with the news, "Do I HAVE to have this done right now?  I'm in a marathon training program."  She said she would talk to the doctor about it.  I realized how ridiculous I was acting after I cried to a couple of my coworkers about it.  I was not being reasonable.  People who are in training usually face setbacks for one reason or another.  It doesn't mean they don't bounce back.  I called back to apologize and I am going back in to the office this coming Friday.    It's beyond my control, and I suppose I need to accept that and deal with it the best I can.

Today I did a low/moderate treadmill workout 3 miles in 24 minutes (7.5 mph).  Tomorrow Jenna and I are meeting up for a 7 mile run in North Buffalo.    7 miles isn't terribly long, but it's the "long run" for the week.  I haven't been smart about training in years.  Even this week, I pushed myself a little too hard on a couple of my speed workouts, causing my kneecap to loosen up and the pain to flare up by yesterday (my one rest day).  But living, running and learning are all part of this process.

I know I'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment